We welcome new members!
We understand that you want to go caving. Perhaps you know about one or two caves already. There are THOUSANDS of caves in the TAG region, and we are here to help you learn more. But first, we need you to understand that CAVES NEED HEROES. We also want you to know that WE NEED YOU TO HELP US PROTECT CAVES. The DCG needs for you to become an active member so that you can pass on the knowledge and wisdom of careful stewardship to the next generation.
Caves are very special and delicate places. The DCG wants to help you learn more about caves so that you can help to protect these unique places while enjoying them. For some great basic ethics, click here
We have a long-standing rule that we must meet each new potential member face-to-face before they join the club. The reason for this is that we want to make sure that new members understand our mission to preserve caves (and access to them) as the non-renewable environments that they are.
The easiest way to join is to come to one of our meetings.
We realize that coming to one of our meetings may not work for you. That’s why we have several ways of meeting with you. We are willing to take the extra step if you are.
In addition to regular meetings at REI Atlanta, (Insider tip: come to the meeting after the meeting for some one-on-one time with us) we also have several CAMPOUT MEETINGS. These are usually at a cave and lend themselves well to newcomers. Check the calendar on the homepage for our next meeting. Lastly, if none of these will work, we are willing to meet with you one on one. Just contact us, and we can work something out.
Just remember, we need you as much as you need us!
Questions? Call our Hotline: 678-90CAVES
Why become a member?
The benefits of becoming a member are many:
- New members qualify for gear discounts at certain caving gear vendors.
- The Hole Story is our monthly publication, available for free at any grotto meeting. Upon becoming a member, you will have access to all available back issues
- The Grotto Library. We maintain one of the most extensive caving libraries anywhere in the world. The library is located in Dallas, Ga, and is available for any member to visit and check out materials.
- The Georgia Underground is our quarterly caving magazine. One of the largest and most awarded cave publications available, featuring articles about all things caving, from caver truck set-ups to exploration of world class cave systems worldwide. Back issues going back to 1963 are available immediately to members through this website.
- All members in good standing are eligible to rent Grotto equipment. We maintain 20 sets of premium caving helmets so that you can take friends caving. There are 10 sets in the Midtown area and 10 sets in the Norcross / Lilburn area.
- The DCG has an excellent vertical training program to teach new cavers crucial vertical caving skills. After completing the classes, you will qualify to attend grotto vertical caving trips. This can also lead to additional training for SPRAT, and rescue certifications.
- DCG Members section. In addition to Hole Story and GU back issues, the member area contains a blog section where you can post questions, or trips going or needed. These will be posted to members subscribed to DCGNET, as well as to the grotto Facebook page (if you choose). You can renew your membership, download liability waivers to carry with you, contact other grotto members and more.
- DCGNET is our digital remailer. Members can sign up to receive emails any time there are posts in the member section of this website. Things like trips on short notice, access information, caving project updates, gear reviews, etc.